The Top 12 Famous Animation Quotes
Animation video creation is fun and entertaining, but it’s not always a piece of cake to think of extraordinary ideas. Sometimes, you hit a roadblock that is hard to cross, and you’re left with day and night internet browsing trying to find that one inspirational animated video that can offer some guidance.
If you’re having trouble awakening the creative demon inside you, then I bet some of these quotes about animation will prove helpful. We always read about scientists being inspired by some of the things their idols say, so let’s give this a shot too?
Here are some great quotes to light the fire of inspiration inside you.
- “Animation offers a medium of story-telling and visual entertainment which can bring pleasure and information to people of all ages everywhere in the world.” ― Walt Disney
- “Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive. This facility makes it the most versatile and explicit means of communication yet devised for quick mass appreciation.” ― Walt Disney
Here’s one from one of the most famous celebrities in Hollywood and probably the king of animation. Walt Disney might have passed on, but his name still connected with the biggest production industry. Some of his most famous work is Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck that are still enjoyed by people of all ages. When we look at his quote on animation, it relates to what he believed in – animation can bring pleasure to people of all ages.
- “There’s always room out there for the hand-drawn image. I personally like the imperfection of hand drawing as opposed to the slick look of computer animation. But you can do good stuff either way. The Pixar movies are amazing in what they do, but there’s plenty of independent animators who are doing really amazing things as well.” ― Matt Groening
Now, who doesn’t know about “The Simpsons,” especially with all the conspiracy theories attached to the show (Yikes!). Matt Groening is one of the most famous cartoonists of our time who is part of great TV cartoons. His inspirational cartoon quote is about how hand-drawn images never go out of style even though computer-drawn images are just as good. He’s a man who believes in the traditional method of creating animations.
- “Animation is the one type of movie that really does play for the entire audience. Our challenge is to make stories that connect for kids and adults.” ― John Lassete
The famous animation quote by John Lasseter is for animators who think cartoons are only for kids. The animation quote reminds us that animation is for everyone; however, the only challenge is thinking of a story that the children and adults can relate to while watching. The quote can apply to marketing animated videos too, you can use animation, but you need to make sure to implement it to grasp the viewer’s attention.
- “In animation, there’s this exhilarating moment of discovery when you see the film, and you say, Oh THAT’S what I was doing.” ― John Lithgow
While John Lithgow is a very famous actor, he has some very famous animation quotes, one of which is about animation. I’m sure most of you can relate to his quote because it’s true that when you start creating the storyboard, the animation doesn’t entirely make sense, but once it’s done, you’re taken aback by your own creation. The animation is all about being patient, and you need to wait and see the results. So, if things seem slow, don’t worry the result will be exhilarating.
- “We go through, I think, six different drafts of each script. And then my shooting it is roughly, you know, fifteen percent of the total work that gets done on a show. Then it’s all post-production animation after that.” ― Steve Burns
Steve Burns, popularly known as the host of the famous children’s show Blue’s Clues, knows a little about the struggles with animation. He ran the animated show for almost ten years, and you can relate to the quote; if you’re having trouble finalizing that script or completing your storyboard, just read this quote about how sometimes they hit a road block shooting a Blue’s Clues episode. Here’s the famous animation quote that he said;
- “In my opinion, animation will continue to thrive as long as there are children, parents, television, movies and the need to laugh.” ― William Hanna
William Hanna is one of the famous animators responsible for the existence of Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo. Out of all the short animation quotes, this one is my most favorite. Think about it, and we don’t just love animation because of the colors and movement; another reason is the sheer joy we get from the comedy. So, William is on point when he says that the audience will continue to watch animations as long as they need to laugh.
- “Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.” ― Norman McLaren
Thanks to the pioneers of animation and especially Norman McLaren, the movement of animation is one of the best things we watch today. Norman talks about how we shouldn’t feel low when we can’t think straight; in fact, as animators, we should focus on the movement of our art and create something beautiful.
- “What I love most about animation is, it’s a team sport, and everything we do is about pure imagination.” ― Jeffrey Katzenberg
If you’ve seen movies by DreamWorks Animation, then you know who Jeffrey Katzenberg is too. The CEO of DreamWorks Animation is definitely an animator and producer we should look up to when we have an “animator’s block.” He hits the right spot when he says that animation is all about imagination. When you think of an idea, you need a team, and only then can you execute a piece of art.
- “Doing animation is closer to pretending than anything else you get to do. It’s much more like when you’re a kid putting on a character.” ― Diedrich Bader
Diedrich Bader might be a voice actor for some of the popular series like Batman and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, but he’s put a different spin on animation. His animation quote sheds light on the imagination of an animator, and he says that’s where the real work begins. So, emphasize your thought process, and I’m sure you’ll come up with a great idea.
- “A lot of the time in animation is spent getting the story right – that’s something you can’t rush.” ― Jennifer Yuh Nelson
The animation starts with a brief that is then turned into an exceptional story. Jennifer Yuh Nelson is well-known for her storyboard work for Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda series. What she says about getting the story right fits perfectly because I don’t think any of us would be able to enjoy her movies if the story wasn’t a good one. So, give time to the story before you start the animation process.
- “What’s most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. I’m a great believer of energy and emotion.” ― Ralph Bakshi
Would you watch an animated movie if it didn’t trigger any of your emotions? Certainly not. The idea of creating animation is to deliver an emotional experience that makes the viewer scream at their screens. Animations need to have the energy and emotion so that it’s a great masterpiece.
- “You’re not supposed to animate drawings. You’re supposed to animate feelings.” ― Ollie Johnston
Ollie Johnston, one of the Nine Old Men, is one of Disney’s most prestigious animators who has been part of some great works. His animation quote reflects on how animations aren’t just about drawing cartoons on a computer or a notebook, and it’s much more than that. It’s about animating feelings and creating something magical. So, if push comes to shove, look at your animation from a different angle.
It’s very easy to learn from these pioneers and great names in the animation industry. They speak from experience, and just like you and me, they might’ve hit a roadblock, but the key is not to get demotivated.
Take a break, sip some coffee, read up some quotes, and then try again. I’m sure you’ll get it. Good luck!
Moreover, if you’re not done reading, Check out other articles we’ve created: