Now, finding the right animation apps can be difficult, because there are numerous options out there to pick from. You need an animation app that has an easy interface, unique features, is affordable, and is easy to learn.
Some animation apps can be difficult to work with because they are meant for professionals who know how to use an animator app.
However, there are some options that anyone can use, especially if they have a little background of how animation apps work.
Without further ado, if you’re looking for great animation apps, I’m sure the list I’m about to mention will help you pick good animation apps for Android, iOS, and desktop. By the end of this article, you’ll know what is the best animation app for you.
The Top Animation Apps For Android And IOS
If you’re about to animate something for operating systems like Android or iOS, here is a list of the best animation apps for iPad, iPhone, and Android that I found.
Some of these are also great options as animation apps for iPad.
#1) FlipaClip – Android, iPhone, & iPad Animations App
FlipaClip is one of the best animation apps for Android, iPhone, and iPads. It offers numerous features combined with modern technology that allows you to develop different types of animations – whether they’re modern or old school.
Features of FlipaClip:
- It offers a variety of art drawing tools like brushes, erases, fillers, ruler, 2D vs 3D shapes, text fields with multiple options, custom canvas sizes, etc.
- It supports the Samsung S Pen or SonarPen.
- Users can add up to three art layers and they can also update to the Pro version and add seven more layers.
- It’s also one of the best video animation maker apps that makes animating video easy.
- The onion skin animating tool allows you to animate videos with precision.
- You can also add audio to your animated videos.
- It’s available for free to Android and iOS users.
- It has high responsive editing tools.
- It has numerous options for canvas sizes.
- It has an easy-to-use sidebar that gives access to all controls and makes animation easy.
- Allows frame by frame animation.
- It has a built-in FX library.
- Allows finger drawing too.
- It doesn’t allow more than ten layers of animation.
- The app doesn’t support 4K export.
Price: You can download and enjoy this animation app for free.
#2) Bot3D Editor – iPhone & iPad Animation App
The Bot3D Editor is one of the most efficient animation software for iPads and iPhones. The app is sleek and easy to use because everything is at the users’ fingertips. The animation app makes animation quick and also lets you use photos and videos that are stored on your iPhone or iPad.
Features of Bot3D Editor:
- It has a full-body inverse kinematics algorithm.
- It lets users import sounds and audio for video animation.
- It has a HandEditor, Face Editor, and SceneEditor.
- Users can also lip-sync voices to the characters they create.
- You can create horizontal and vertical videos.
- It offers a variety of customization tools for the animation process.
- The app is easy to learn and use.
- You can add numerous emotions to your videos.
- The characters you create aren’t downloadable.
- You can create a limited combination that can’t be mixed up.
Price: The app is free for iPhone and iPad users.
#3) Toontastic 3D – Animation Apps for iPhone & Android
2D and 3D animation on phones and tablets have never been thanks to Toontastic 3D. It’s one of the best animation apps for iPad Pro, Android smartphones, and iPhones available to users. It allows you to design, sketch, animate, and narrate cartoons.
You can animate multiple characters at the tips of your fingers and save those on your phone. Toontastic 3D is a famous app that is loved by many.
Features of Toontastic 3D:
- It has built-in songs for video animation.
- It also offers numerous characters.
- It has 3D tools to design 3D characters.
- Users can animate their own faces.
- Toontastic 3D has a library of template stories.
- The cartoon animation app has won a Parents’ Choice Gold Award.
- Users can create their own 3D tools for drawing and animating.
- You can upload anything on the Toontastic 3D library.
- Allows limited characters in a single scene.
- The app has limited sound effects and props.
Price: The animation app is free to download.
#4) Maya – Android
Maya is an Autodesk invention that allows animators to produce 3D interactive cartoons for videos and motion pictures. It offers a visual programming environment which makes it a great cartoon video maker app.
Features of Maya:
- It has a large readymade graphics library.
- It allows interactive animation with precision.
- It has a playback option that allows you to view your animation as you animate.
- Users can mark their animation with bookmarks to go back to the event later.
- It has a performance-capture feature that guides you to refine some animation curves.
- Maya is reliable for 3D modeling, animation, and rendering.
- Animators can import their own work on to Maya to edit it.
- It’s one of the best animation apps for Android.
- There can be some bugs that make it hard to animate.
- The app could use some more updates.
Price: Maya offers a one-month trial to Android users, after which you may decide to subscribe.
#5) Animate it! – Android
Animate it! Comes with some of the best and exciting features that you need in cartoon video apps for animation. The software allows animators to create, animate, and add motions to their characters on a handheld device with ease. The app is so easy to use that even children can have fun with it.
Features of Animate it:
- It offers a complete set of controls that allow you to animate a project like a finger touch, drag and drop, etc.
- It offers a large library of character skins, props, and land creation facilities.
- Users can select their own characters with a few clicks.
- Users can add skins to ten PNG format images easily.
- It doesn’t offer a tutorial to understand the app.
- There are no instructions on how to use the app.
- Users can have a hard time recognizing the icons.
Price: Animate It! Available for free on the Google Play Store.
The Best Animation Apps For PC
For the longest time, cartoon animation was done on PC. There are numerous cartoon animation apps for animators that prefer using their desktop.
Let’s look at some of the best animation makers for Mac and Windows.
#1) Blender – Windows, Mac
Blender is a 3D animation software for Mac and Windows that is quite popular with animators, scientists, game developers, studio artists, and video animators around the world. Now, the open-source software has evolved into one of the sophisticated animation apps for Mac and Windows. The tool allows animators to create ultra-realistic 3D models that breathe life into their videos.
Features of Blender:
- The animation software is available for Mac, Windows, & Linux.
- It’s equipped with a built-in real-time viewport review which makes video previews easy.
- It has tools for advanced modeling, sculpting, and UV editing.
- Blender has advanced tools for rigging and animation.
- Animators can leverage high-level visual effects.
- Users can animate 2D and 3D characters.
- It has full animation support.
- It has some open projects which beginners can contribute to and learn new skills.
- The software is open-source which means it’s backed by a large community.
- The learning curve is steep so beginners might have a hard time learning all the tools and tricks.
- Image animations are difficult because the software is more suitable for 3D animation.
Price: The software is free to download for Mac, Windows, & Linux users.
#2) Adobe Character Animator
Adobe Character Animator is part of the huge family of Adobe family which supports the creation of high-level animations. This is one of the animation apps that works very simply and is easy to handle due to its simple interface.
The software also supports the animation of real-life humans. All you have to do is plug in your mic and camera, and let the program detect your facial expressions and voice to animate the character simultaneously. It also offers functions that can be used to add motions and gestures to the character.
Features of Adobe Character Animator:
- The animation program for Mac and Windows is equipped with automatic lip-syncing and animates any human into character smoothly.
- It supports real-time character animation and live streaming.
- It’s equipped with in-app templates to get the animation going and take inspiration from.
- The recording, editing, and animation are streamlined.
- The software is perfect for creating video game graphics, game streaming, live chats, online education apps.
- It does a lot of animation for the user.
- Users can use their webcam for video and animation.
- Users can add different filters to add various animation styles to the real-life character.
- First-time users will need some time to learn the software.
- The setup can be difficult.
- Animation is tricky.
Price: It offers a seven-day trial period after which users can choose from the following plans:
- Creative Cloud All Apps – $52.99/month billed annually
- Students and teachers – $19.99/month billed annually
- Business – from $33.99/month billed annually
- Download Here
#3) DigiCel FlipBook
DigiCel FlipBook is one of the best animation apps out there available for Mac and Windows. It allows users to create a frame by frame animation which ensures precision and clean animation. The software allows animators to draw their own characters or scan a drawing. It also supports motion picture animations which can be created with high-quality features and great tools.
Features of DigiCel FlipBook:
- It allows users to scan their own drawings and paintings on paper.
- It offers to lip-sync support.
- Animators work on multiple frames for 3D and 2D character design and animation.
- Users can zoom in to animate and edit for precision.
- Animators can import and export images, videos, functions, etc.
- It supports scanner-imported drawings that can be animated using modern tools.
- It supports traditional animations.
- Animators can have up to 1500 frames.
- It has no libraries for characters, effects, etc.
- It doesn’t offer many modern techniques and tools like lip-syncing or rigging.
Price: The software isn’t available for free; however, here are the subscription packages.
- Flipbook lite ($19.99 – full purchase)
- FlipBook Studio ($49.99 – full purchase)
- FlipBook Pro HD ($129.99 – full purchase)
- Download Here
#4) Toon Boom Harmony
Toon Boom Harmony is one of the animation apps that supports traditional animation, flash-style cut-out animation, particle effects, 2D & 3D animations. It’s an all-rounder software for Windows and Mac.
Features of Toon Boom Harmony:
- It offers advanced tools for sketching, drawing, rigging, motions, etc.
- It has advanced vectors, color palettes, tools, textures, etc.
- It’s equipped with tools for frame by frame animation.
- Animators can add 3D elements to 2D characters.
- Animators have complete control over camera angles and composition.
- The animation software can be integrated with other software.
- Video games can be exported to game engines.
- It offers a wide range of complicated, amazing tools for drawing and animation.
- Animators can animate without repeating the cycle manually.
- Users with animation experience can learn the program within a few days.
- It has various animation styles like chalk, pencil, marker, crayon, etc.
- Animators can’t edit or record any audio or sound effects within the app.
- It’s a complicated program for beginners.
- The operating system needs to be always updated for the program to work glitch-free.
- The controls are very different from other animation apps.
- The program isn’t affordable for everyone.
Price: The software offers a 21-day trial and if users like it, they can subscribe to the following packages:
- Harmony Essentials: EUR €400/purchase or EUR €16 / month (when billed annually)
- Harmony Advanced: EUR €1,030/purchase or EUR €41 / month (when billed annually)
- Harmony Premium: EUR €2,085/purchase or EUR €78 / month (when billed annually)
- Download Here
#5) Synfig Studio
Synfig Studio is one of the animation apps that are enriched with numerous features that allow the creation of high-level animations. Apart from the regular drawing tools, onion skinning, drawing techniques, and 2D / 3D shaping, the software allows animators offers a unique range of advanced features.
Features of Synfig Studio:
- Animators can use a mixture of animation and VFX for high level animated videos and motion pictures.
- The software appends keyframes which makes the animation process flawless and smooth.
- It supports gradient routes that give shape, shading, and vectors to animated drawings.
- Animators can leverage over 50 layers to design and animate detailed artwork.
- Animators have complete control over framing and vectors.
- The bone system gives you full control of the characters.
- Users can create character puppets.
- It offers complete rendering support.
- The software is free of charge.
- One of the best desktop animation apps for 2D animation.
- The animation tools are powerful and offer unique functionality.
- It allows plugins that can enhance your animations.
- Animators can add speech plugins for automatic lip-sync of their characters.
- It’s backed by a big community that offers immense support.
- Beginners and entry-level animators can learn to use the software through Udemy.
- Beginners and entry-level animators need to learn how to use the software before they get started because of its complexity.
- The software isn’t as popular as the others on this list so information and tutorials can be hard to find.
- The software is heavy and requires a strongly built PC for it.
- Some operations can cause crashes during the animation process so animators need to save their project simultaneously as they make changes.
Price: The software is available for free to Mac, Windows, and Linux users.
Picking the best 2d animation software depends on your project, your budget, and most importantly your animator. Before you pick one of the famous animation apps, you need to ask yourself. What type of animation do you want to create? Is it a marketing video? A short animated film? How complex is your animation? Is it like the famous movie, Frozen? Or is it old school like Mickey Mouse?
These questions will reflect what you need from your animation software. Once you know what you need your software to deliver the next step is deciding on how much you want to spend. The wise decision would be to start with free software. Juice the free version as much as you can, and then move on to a paid software that can enhance your animation.
Of course, a heavy animation like a motion picture will require heavy software that offers a wide array of features while a marketing video can be done using software like Synfig.
I think the easiest option is to get your animation done from a studio. It’s less time-consuming, gets the job done, and you don’t have to worry about it a lot.
Good luck with your next great animation project!
Other Useful Resources: